Senator Jack Martins
Results, Not Promises
Since taking office as your Senator for the 7th Senate District in January 2011, Jack has been a leader in fiscal discipline, tax relief and job creation. Working together with Governor Cuomo and Republicans and Democrats in the State Legislature, he helped usher in a new era of state government, one that is finally working for the people again. His bi-partisan efforts have been widely recognized, most notably by the New York Public Interest Research Group and Newsday, who hailed his productivity in leading the Long Island legislative delegation with 34 bills approved by both houses in 2014.
Just 4 Years Ago…
New York State was mired in turmoil. In fact, the Brennan Center for Justice once called our capitol the “most dysfunctional in the nation.” While residents and business owners were digging themselves out of a recession, the former New York City centric, Democrat-led state legislature and Governor:
- raised taxes and fees 214 times for a total of more than $14 billion dollars;
- implemented the MTA payroll tax on every Long Island business, a tax which actually punished them for creating jobs;
- routinely diverted millions of dollars in school aid meant for Long Island children to NYC schools;
- stripped overtaxed Long Island homeowners of our STAR property tax rebate checks;
- and delivered corruption and abuse scandals by the dozen!
The average family of four was hit with thousands of dollars in new taxes, the perpetually late state budgets were running massive deficits and it was clear to everyone that government was no longer working for the people.
Fast Forward to Today, working in a bipartisan manner, we have…
- passed four on-time, fiscally responsible budgets which controlled spending and eliminated a multi-billion dollar budget deficit WITHOUT RAISING A SINGLE TAX OR FEE;
- cut the state income taxes for middle-class families to the lowest they’ve been in 60 years;
- delivered an historic 2% property tax cap to help ease the crippling tax burden on local families;
- repealed the job killing MTA payroll tax for over 37,000 small businesses in Nassau County, and cut other business taxes to help create jobs and make it more affordable to do business in New York State;
- made record investments in education to help ensure our children receive a top quality education.
In just four short years, Jack has established himself as an energetic leader in this movement, developing innovative ideas that ease the burden on taxpayers, implement mandate relief and spur economic development.
Because Newsday called it “the most productive legislative session in New York history.”
Because credit rating services like Moody’s, Fitch, and Standard and Poor's have now given New York its highest credit ratings in over 40 years!
Because New Yorkers of virtually every income level have seen their state income taxes decrease!
Because things are finally getting better for New York and New Yorkers and we can’t afford to let that slip away.
It’s a record of responsibility and it’s indisputable. Jack and his colleagues have showed the nation that a balanced government works best and showed the rest of the world that New York is back in business.